Army Aviation Museum, Nov 4

There is a nice, very informative Army aviation museum on Ft Novosel. The exhibits start with early aviation and progresses to the helicopters that served the Army throughout the various wars since Korea and Vietnam. It was actually a very sad trip through history. I read about many pilots who lost their lives trying save soldiers that had been wounded in battle, or saving other pilots and crewmen that were shot down while bring supplies to the soldiers on the ground. A lot of sad, sad stories. I grieve at all the loss and wonder why we glorify wars.


This was the start of the timeline through the museum. 

Amazing to think this aircraft flew across the English Channel in the 1930's with no navigation equipment and very elementary directional controls; little more than a kite really. 


I felt very old when I saw the exhibit on Air Traffic Controllers. The PAR I used at NAS Norfolk was very similar to this one. Ah, equipment I'm familiar with is in a museum!!! Maybe I'll choose to believe that the Navy was very behind the times and had us using antiquated equipment, and not that I'm actually old enough to relate to museum-age equipment!

This exhibit is what made me start thinking of all the people that lost their lives in battle. These helicopters were created with stretchers attached to carry out the wounded. Can you imagine being strapped down and flying through the air on the outside of a helicopter? And I'm sure it was not a smooth ride!! The pilot was no doubt doing all that he could to avoid enemy fire and get those guys to a medical unit. The scenes depicted in M.A.S.H. were real.




In the center of the museum, their grand display, was the UH-1, complete with figures depicting the pilot, crew, and soldiers. Words can't express how eerie this display was. I know I'm a veteran, but being a controller on Naval bases is not the kind of military these people went through. They have my respect and recognition for their heroism and bravery. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland, Day 12, Jun 26

Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Nov 18-26

Ireland, Day 8, Jun 22