Orlando Wetlands Park, Dec 29

The beautiful, chilly weather allowed my to ride around the Orlando Wetlands Park. I would never take a bike ride or walk in the heat (which is 95% of the year) because there is no shade out there, but this day was perfect. 

The Orlando Wetlands Park is actually a water treatment area. It was built to help filter the water coming out of Orlando before it flows south to the Everglades. You would never know it though. The water looks perfectly clean, there is no odor, and the wildlife seem to love it. I counted 10 gator sightings. And they were close!!! Not just way off in the middle of the lake, but right on the edge of the trail. So close actually, that I was afraid to stop pedaling to snap a picture.

Absolutely beautiful, and not a building in sight. Perfect place to get a breath of fresh air and re-center yourself to peace. There were actually quite a few people out there, but the park is so large, and with a bike you can get away from the main entrance and find some solitude.

This was the first gator I spotted and was happy to get his picture. This was taken from a boardwalk built over one of the ponds. I didn't realize I would see nine more... and much bigger, closer ones!

Happy, noisy Coots :) 

A bald eagle!

This guy was close and huge! If he moved I probably would have panicked and fell off my bike. But no, he was content to sun himself on the edge of the lake. I'm sure I was in no danger pedaling down the trail. 

This is my favorite shot. It looks so "Florida" to me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Nov 18-26

Cycling in the Nonahood, Oct 8

FFW Horrible Hundred, Nov 20